Here are some handy guidelines for writing to a prisoner penpal:
· Use a post office box, your church address or if in the UK, the BTG office address.
· Write at least twice a month if possible.
· Be a good listener and give hope.
· Be aware that prisoners may have emotional ups and downs. You may be able to provide some emotional stability.
· Be aware of con games.
· Be prepared for some romantic overtures.
· Check prison regulations before sending any gifts, books, magazines, etc.
· Give legal advice or counsel regarding a prisoner’s case.
· Send money for financial support or legal fees; don’t sign or co-sign loans, or process money orders.
· Ask why a prisoner is in prison.
· Provide other names and addresses for your prisoner penpal to write to.
· Give out your telephone number or agree to receive collect calls.
· Send photos, except for group shots.